Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

I Love You too Much

One of my Facebook friends posted a prayer her four-year-old said this evening:
Dear God, thank you for being so nice to us. 
I love you. Too much. More than anyone. Amen." 
I feel like praying that prayer too this evening. Some days you just are more aware of how full the cup of life is...the good hand of God present in some unexpected ways and places. If entering the kingdom of God requires becoming like a child, this young child's prayer is a good, sincere prayer to prod my own praying. It's not just words for me to read with a warm fuzzy feeling and say, "Ah, how cute." 

So thank you little one for praying with such a tender, sincere heart. Thank you Mom for sharing something helpful and lovely on your Facebook page.

A dear friend came by this afternoon and packed our library of books for me. With energy and love she filled boxes as we chatted and listened to some music that had brought us together. I had made a little playlist to accompany our worktime and celebrate our friendship. Music and worship had been the seed for our friendship when I served at Edenton Street UMC as their Interim Music Director.

My friend Kat, far left, during warm-up for a service.

Listening to those songs this evening, this song text was playing -- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life -- as I came across the above prayer. 

Thank you for being so nice to us. So nice to us ... a child-like way to say, My cup runneth over. Surely. Surely. Love that prompts a child to say, I love You. Too much. Yes, surely. Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me. Yes, here in a home being pulled apart for a move (always a somewhat traumatic experience), in our new home (we're moving to a new city), and all the little nooks and crannies along the way. 

All the days. Not just some of them. Not just the ones where everything is in place and there are no daunting tasks, wrinkly circumstances, or even monsters under the bed of life.

I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Yes, someday in heaven, but today in a very real sense, I am dwelling in the Lord's house surrounded by his care. My head is covered with the finest oil. My cup runneth over.

Lord, may I always pray "thank you for being so nice to us." And even on those rare occasions when life's worst is hurled at me or those I love. Help me at all times to see your hand leading, the table you are preparing, your love every day. You guide me. You comfort me. 

The angelic voices ring out, Lauda! Lauda! Lauda! (I will praise the Lord). Or in the words of a four-year-old, "Dear God, I love you. Too much. More than anyone."

~~~~~

MUSIC LINKS

Here is a link to the playlist mentioned above.

Here is the choral anthem "Psalm 23" by Randall Stroope that blessed me so this evening. 

If you are not familiar with the text of the beautiful Psalm 23, here it is in several translations.


No comments:

Post a Comment