Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Flu

Sneezes, coughs,
kerchoos and moans,
Aching joints 
and fire-filled bones,
Stuck in bed 
for hours on end
Day and night 
become a blend.

Pressure in my 
round eyeballs
Might explode 
before night falls
Scratchy throat 
that feels like dirt
All my systems 
on alert.

Heavy footsteps, 
choking screams;
Fever feeds some crazy dreams.
Mindless thinking, pain-laced whims
Nerves full throttle, reason dims.

What a mess this sickly trip!
Wish it was one I could skip!
Yet since it came round my way
Snuggled in I’ll eat sorbet.

Fickle fever slinks away
Time to mend this ragged stay―
Wash the sheets, feet on the floor!
Bye, bye flu―you’re out the door!

© 2010 Nancy Gerst


p.s. Love this photo of my hubby when he was a little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment