Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Music in the Trees


These trees out my window beg me to look up with them. Up, up, up toward higher things. That majestic southern pine off to the left with a twin thirty feet to the right . . . how many years growth did it take to become so sturdy and beckoning?   

 

The wind blows from the west and they gracefully wave toward the morning sun.  Birds of all kinds are flitting about their branches, landing here and there, first low and then high. Then singing their heart out from the pinnacle, small voice cascading over a wide world. 

If I were a tree, I wonder how tall I would be? 

If I were a bird, would I be brave enough to soar that high and sing such a fine song, flung uninhibitedly toward an unexpecting, yet perhaps grateful world?

Contemplating the tall pines out my window make me think of “The Pines of Rome” by Ottorino Respighi. I learned the piano part to that orchestral work when I auditioned for a spot as orchestral pianist with the Muncie Symphony Orchestra back in 1985. 

Here are two videos of movements from that inspiring work, the first by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra with video as it was conceived by Disney; the second with an outstanding video of a fine orchestra playing a movement from the work. 


And all this reminds me of this lovely poem by Joyce Kilmer . . .
Trees
   
I think that I shall never see   
A poem lovely as a tree.   
   
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest   
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;   
   
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;   
   
A tree that may in summer wear   
A nest of robins in her hair;   
   
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;   
Who intimately lives with rain. 
   
Poems are made by fools like me,   
But only God can make a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment