Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Here Comes the Sun



At Raulston Arboretum at NCSU
The sun shone beautifully today in North Carolina. 

Hope it’s been a good day in your part of the world too. The lyrics in these songs hit on a universal love for SUNSHINE ...


“Here comes the sun 
and I say, ‘it’s alright.’ ” 


This John Denver hit was popular when I was in high school. I feel happy (and young!) listening to it this morning. 

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry.
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely.
Sunshine almost always makes me high.


My brother Jerry lived outside of Aspen in a cabin down the mountain from John and Annie Denver's home back in the 1980's. I can still picture the sunshine and landscape in that beautiful part of the Colorado Rockies.  


Edenton Street UMC Downtown Raleigh.
The Triangle--as we call this area around Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill--is riotous with thousands (millions?) of trees in bloom. The spring parade has begun! I love it!

The sun reflected like magic off the steeple in the photo below. My little camera didn't capture the sparkle very well, so use your imagination.





I spent a couple hours at the church this afternoon practicing for a recital next Sunday. Exquisite light poured in the sanctuary stained glass windows while I coaxed music out of the Yamaha grand.


This has been a lovely thing about my career in church music. Being alone in the sanctuary during such times is a beautiful, enriching way to spend one's morning or afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment