Pages

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Heavenly Biographer

A commentary series on Psalm 139 in haiku poetic form.


All the days ordained for me
   were written in your book
   before one of them came to be.
                                                                        Psalm 139:16b    
                          
Mighty pen of God
Wrote my life with greatest care,
Wise biographer.

Time is unbounded
To the writing hand of God,
Story unending.

Wrote my earth chapters,
Wrote my way from death to life,
Used the ink named grace.


Photo taken at my parent’s home on the evening of the day my Dad passed away.

Quote to Ponder . . .
They, then, who are destined to die, need not be careful to inquire what death they are to die, but into what place death will usher them.
― Augustine of Hippo, City of God

MUSIC LINKS 

In Paradisium — by Ēriks Ešenvalds.
An exquisite work, this video from the Cello Biënnale Amsterdam 2016. Does the cello represent the soul in it's journey to heaven, the viola in the back balcony the singing of angels from afar? I hope you will take time to reflect, perhaps at the end of the day on this beautiful, inspiring work. Translation"May the angels lead you into paradise; may the martyrs receive you at your arrival and lead you to the holy city Jerusalem. May choirs of angels receive you and with Lazarus, once (a) poor (man), may you have eternal rest."
 
Day by Day – sung by Antrim Mennonite Choir

My Life Is in Your Hands – sung by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir 

When I Can Read My Title Clear – sung by Robert Shaw Chorale. This hymn was a favorite of my Dad’s. Some of the grandchildren sang it at his funeral.


Link to beginning of series. 
Link to previous post.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. And I like the Augustine quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the next in the series, or click on "newer post" below and it will take you there also. http://nancygerst.blogspot.com/2017/03/limitless-love.html

    ReplyDelete