Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Felix and Skateboards on Our Street

Sitting on the front porch during the golden hour of the afternoon yesterday, I was enjoying the birds and scenes through the trees while reading a little devotional book a friend recently gave me. I absent-mindedly glanced over a paragraph and looked up to admire yet another feathered friend nearby, when it hit me what I had just read. "Of all God's creation, people are the highest and greatest creative act of God."

I laid the book on my lap to think deeper about that. In the distance coming down the sidewalk (which is at a slight downhill slant) I could hear a skateboard coming. I suppose the eleven year old boy cruising at about 30 m.p.h. thought I was a little strange to wave and smile so broadly at him, but I was just overwhelmed thinking about how God made him such a unique, special, and glorious creature. I don't remember when I thought a little boy that age was so magnificent. 

If I would have had a plate of cookies beside me I might have ran after him. Mister Rogers was probably smiling down at me from his new address thinking, "Yep, it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood."

Last evening then, I began work on a new video based on a lovely Andante by Felix Mendelssohn in his collection of Songs without Words. That thought from the porch reverie was so lingering and strong, that Psalm 139 kept coming to the fore in my mind. This verse is the repeated visual refrain I decided to use:

I will praise you for I am fearfully
and wonderfully made.
I like to use interesting photos or art with my audio recordings. I think you will agree the photographer and her subject for this one are a lovely, perfect pairing to both Mendelssohn's Andante and the psalmist's prayer of thanksgiving. 




No comments:

Post a Comment