Pages

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Limitless Love

A commentary series on Psalm 139 in haiku poetic form.

How precious to me are your
      thoughts, O God!
   How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them,
   they would outnumber the grains of sand
when I awake,
   I am still with you.
                                                               Psalm 139:17-18


I am still with you
After precious thoughts of yours
Overwhelm my soul.

I am still with you
After counting grains of sand
And falling sleep.

I am still with you
After everything, I wake,
I am in your thoughts.

At the beach with the grandkids

 Quote to Ponder . . .
O highest and best, most all-powerful, most merciful and most just, most deeply hidden and most nearly present, most beautiful and most strong, constant yet incomprehensible, changeless yet changing all things, never new, never old, making all things new, bringing the proud to decay and they know it not: always acting and always at rest, still gathering yet never wanting; upholding, filling and protecting, creating, nourishing, and bringing to perfection; seeking, although in need of nothing.
You love, but with no storm of passion; you are jealous, but with no anxious fear; you repent, but do not grieve; in your anger calm; you change your works, but never change your plan; you take back what you find and yet have never lost; never in need, you are yet glad of gain; never greedy, yet still demanding profit on your loans; to be paid in excess, so that you may be the debtor, and yet who has anything which is not yours?
You pay back debts which you never owed and cancel debts without losing anything.
        Augustine of Hippo, Confessions


MUSIC LINKS

God Be in My Head – by Walford-Davis
The words are from Pinson's Horae (Book of Hours) in 1514, in English in the Sarum Primer of 1558 

God Be in My Head – by John Rutter 

God Be in My Head  – in a newer setting by Barbara Brennan and Michael Upward (for SATB with sax, piano, organ)

Christ Be with Me (a Prayer of St. Patrick) – by John Rutter


Next in series
Link to beginning of series. 
Link to previous post.


No comments:

Post a Comment