Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Connecting with Old Friends

A Facebook post by the Choral Music Sharing Community led me this evening to listen to Rachmaninoff's haunting setting of the Lord's Prayer, the Our Father - Отче наш.

Sung in Russian, I have no idea what they are saying, yet knowing it is the setting the world's most familiar and beloved Christian prayer, I know exactly what they are singing about, and my spirit prays too. This kind of music inspires deeply soul-searching prayer, not a tossed off "now I lay me down to sleep" ditty.

This is a great mystery how one's spirit can connect in a spiritual bond of fellowship with people far removed or long gone from this world. The Russian singers and director who I will probably never meet; Rachmaninoff the composer who wrote this song (1873-1943); the artist who painted the icon Christ the Redeemer (seen with the video and below, Andrei Rublev, c.a. 1410 AD); and clear back to Jesus who taught this prayer to his disciples back around 30 AD/CE. 

Christ the Redeemer, Andrei Rublev
How this prayer text has survived these 2000 years is a great mystery itself. Indeed a miracle. Is there any other poem, prayer or text that is so widely known and used on a daily basis by millions around the world? 

If I wanted to make an argument here for the veracity of Christianity, that might be a phenomenon I'd consider highlighting. It's no wonder that listening to this music gives me goosebumps and makes my little space here in this room seem to glow with holy light.







No comments:

Post a Comment