Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tenderness in Unexpected Places


The past couple of weeks I've been thinking about what it means to have a tender heart or to be tenderhearted in the most beautiful, Christian meaning of the word. The Lord sent me an elegant illustration of this through a friend, which prompted the following poem . . .


Detail from St. John's Bible

   And the Word became Flesh
     A Thank You Poem by Nancy Gerst

     A most unexpected gesture
     From the heart of a friend
     Took me by surprise
     Late one winter day as
     Spring was peeking
     Through the cracks in the door
     Of my winter weary soul.

Echoes of a December theme
Were brought to mind―
“The Word became flesh” ―
As a gift as real as Jesus in the flesh
Fell from an envelope sealed with Love
And timidly left at the door of my unsuspecting heart.

I lay wide awake that night pondering what moves
One soul to care how another soul feels,
To walk surreptitiously in another's shoes
Through challenges and disappointments
As words failed to take shape around
The deep thankfulness of my refreshed spirit.

Jesus with skin and caring eyes
Surprised me that day;
That’s how this kindness made me feel
And that was the best gift of all.

                            for R. by Nancy Gerst, March 3, 2012


Felix Mendelssohn wrote a whole collection of piano pieces that speak eloquently where words fail, Songs without Words.

Here is the lovely Op. 67, No.1 from that bouquet of melodies, recorded during a worship service prelude in 2005 with me at the piano.

This tender song, lullaby-like in it's angelic contours is one of the jewels in an amazing output from the heart and pen of a man who died at age 38, yet left the world a rich heritage in his many compositions.

An amazing project from our own day, The St. John's Bible, is a rich legacy for generations to come . . .

The Gospel of John FRONTISPIECE and INCIPIT





No comments:

Post a Comment