Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Lacemaker

A commentary series on Psalm 139 in haiku poetic form.
You hem me in - behind and before;
      you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too
     wonderful for me                                                         too lofty for me to attain.
Psalm 139:5 & 6                                


Gentle hand of God
Patient, kind, seamstress mending,
My past and future.

How does God’s hand come?
Like a mother soothes her child
Or caring friend’s touch?


Astonishing thought
Far beyond my grasp or ken
Breath-taking awesome.



Quote to Ponder . . .
But what do I love, when I love You? Not beauty of bodies, nor the fair harmony of time. Not the brightness of the light, so welcome to our eyes, Nor sweet melodies of varied songs, Nor the fragrant smell of flowers, and ointments and spices. Not manna and honey, nor the embrace of arms in fleshly pleasure. None of these I love when I love my God.
Yet this love is a kind of light and melody and fragrance and meat and embrace. When I love my God, the light, melody, fragrance, meat, and embrace is experienced by my inner man. Love shines into my soul, where space cannot contain it. Love speaks with sound that does not fade into silence with time. Its smells are not dispersed in breath, and its tastes do not grow stale. Love clings, and its satisfaction does not break my connection to the experience.
This is it which I love, when I love my God.”
― Augustine of Hippo
The Confessions of St. Augustine: Modern English Version

MUSIC LINKS 

Domine Probasti Me, Psalm 139 – by José de Nebra, sung by Capilla Príncipe de Viana                                                              Latin Vulgate with English translation   

Artwork:  Johannes Vermeer - The lacemaker (c.1669-1671)

Link to next in series
Link to beginning of series. 
Link to previous post

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful...thoughtful...prayerful...thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda. Blessings to you on this first Sunday in Lent 2017.

    ReplyDelete