Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Do the Math

"You do the math" comes from that genre of thought-terminating cliches often used to end all discussion or thought about a topic. One online dictionary defines the phrase as, "to figure something out, esp. when the answer is obvious." I hope my use of this cliche does the opposite and stimulates reflective thought about God's love, thoughts inspired by the following poetical essay . . .


God's Love Is Greater  > 
[Do the Math]

God's love is greater than > all my unloveliness,
Greater than > all my questions or misunderstanding,
Greater than > all the self-interest surrounding me as a
     moat to keep invasive Love at bay.

God's love is greater than > all your unloveliness,
Greater than > all your questions or misunderstanding,
Greater than > all the self-interest surrounding you as a
    cocoon to shield you from Love's piercing gaze.

God's love is greater than > the sum of our thoughts,
Greater than > our combined knowledge,
Greater than > all the self-righteousness surrounding us as
     halos to nullify Love's mysterious ways. 

God's love is infinitely greater than our
     capacity to birth understanding.
God's love is rarer than our most valiant
     acts of charity.
God's love is purer than our most highly refined
    acts of idealism.

God's love stands alone
     on the side of eternal vastness.    

And yet . . .

God's love says,
"Come to me and live as my brothers and sisters.
Come to me and share my love.
Come to me and find mercy to heal all the
     sin-inflicted sickness of your soul.
Come to me across the great divide
   between WHO I AM and who you are."

Cross Pattern at Muhlenberg Lutheran Church
"No, it does not add up,
But I have created a new Symbol
   to bridge the gap,
   a blood-stained Cross
That invites you from being less than I am
   to being made new, fresh, alive in Me
   a part of my family for eternity."

When we come to the ends of our lives
Upon which equation will we board passage for
Travel into the vast unknown?
Another poet put it this way:
"When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Here is a collection of versions of "Rock of Ages" . . .

August Toplady's Hymn "Rock of Ages"
an a capella setting
sung by the Antrium Mennonite Choir

Do any friends remember the gospel singer, Tennessee Ernie Ford? This is the kind of music I grew up with in the Baptist church in northern Indiana. Here is his version of Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages for classical guitar performed and arranged by Rafael Scarfullery

Fernando Ortega has been a friend of many in recent years with his contemporary settings of hymns old and new. Here is his version of "Rock of Ages"

Hymn-writer James Ward has penned a new tune for this text. His setting appeared in the "Trinity Hymnal," and has been used in many Presbyterian and Reformed churches in recent years. Here is a flute solo of that melody.

Here is Chris Rice's version from 2006. The timbre of his voice and the style of this setting reminds me of a singer from another genre, Kenny Rogers -- compare to Rogers singing "Buy Me a Rose".

No comments:

Post a Comment