Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Food Interlude

On the Indiana farm where I grew up, we raised our own beef, among other things. How delighted I was to get a Groupon offer for NC farm-raised meat recently from Carolina Grown. My husband said the meatloaf I made for dinner was the best ever. There is just something about pasture-fed, hormone and antibiotic-free beef.

Going to the local Farmer's Market is not just a way to get yummy fresh things, it's also a way to support the small business people, the farmers, in your locality. I highly recommend purchasing from local suppliers whenever possible!

The beautiful strawberries in the photo were from the farm just a mile from us. I made Strawberry Freezer Jam with this batch of berries. Delicious treat in December!

Although I've pretty much become a city girl, I savor my country roots and the good things I learned in that growing-up environment. One of my earliest musical memories is of Mom playing records with songs like "Home on the Range." Gene Autry was a favorite singer of hers.

Home on the Range - sung by Gene Autry
Home on the Range - sung by Tori Amos

When we lived in the Shenandoah Valley, it was a joy to visit the Harrisonburg Farmers Market

These thoughts lead me to Copland's moving opera "The Tender Land" and this exquisite piece from it,  "The Promise of Living" . More about that in tomorrow's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment