Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gigs, Entrepeneurs, and Amazing Days

For the past couple of years I have had the privilege of serving in interim music roles at four churches. This spring I will end another "gig," this one in the role of organist. It seems God is always teaching me new things . . . new ways to watch for His hand, new challenges that help me grow as a Christian. What will be next? 

This period of time doing interim work has been a wonderful opportunity to grow in my trust in God's good care. My years in the Reformed tradition taught me to call that Providence. Yes indeed. The Lord surely does provide!

When my children were young and I was working part-time in music ministry, I also worked out of my home doing transcription, document design and dissertation editing. As I chatted about finding a name for that little business at dinner one evening, my daughter's creative juices started flowing. 

Rachel in her studio at age 7
The next day, she pitched her suggested business name. Little entrepreneur that she was, it came in the form of the presentation of a collage she'd made from magazine clippings that were (in her 8 year old mind) related to what I would be doing. At the top of the poster she wrote "LWP WORD PROCESSING. The Lord will provide, and you'll say THANKS!" 

I have saved that scrap of her early "artwork" somewhere in my boxes of Special Things. Yes indeed. I've had occasion over and over through the years to say "Thank you Lord" for all God's kind, wise, and loving care and leading.

While I do the legwork to get the "next thing" in place, I'm very aware that what I'm doing today needs my full attention. I blogged about that period of transition in an earlier blog where I included my poem Finish Well. Here's the link to that post. It also includes some music that I listen to often and think you will find meaningful too.

God's provision is all around us ... let's not forget to say thanks today! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

MUSIC LINKS

1. I Thank You for this Most Amazing Day - Whitacre/ setting of e.e. cummings poem


2. Thanks Be to God (Dank sei Dir Herr)- Handel

Dank sei Dir Herr - Festival version by the Christelijk mannenkoor Soli Deo Gloria
Dank sei Dir Herr - sung by Renee Fleming


3. What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong



Magnolias and Irises - Louis Comfort Tiffany

I had the privilege of seeing this beautiful stained glass piece when it was at the Richmond Museum of Art. A lovely afternoon spent touring that special Tiffany exhibit with my dear friend Joan.


No comments:

Post a Comment