Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Life Well-Lived, Part N, O, & P



Continuing my reflections through the alphabet in memory of my Dad. The days since he died are passing by as I write these meditations. With each set, peacefulness is filling the space where fresh grief alone resided at first. I like to write listening to this piece. [You can follow the entire series beginning here.]



N – NANCY. My Mom called me “Nan” along with the rest of the family, but Dad often called me “Nancy.” I never really thought about that until now. I think it was his way of being tender with a daughter. When he’d call me after Mom died, and I didn’t answer, he’d leave a message:  “Yeah, Nancy? This is Pop.” I saved a couple of those voice mail messages on my phone.  

Thank you, Lord, that my parent’s named me “Nancy” which means “grace of God,” and that even the way Dad said my name reminded me of your love and grace.


O – ONE. Many children. One wife. Many hours in the day. One hour at the beginning of the day to read his Bible and pray. Many days in the week to work. One day set aside to worship his God. Many days in a lifetime. One day at a time. Many ways to do something. One way selected that seem best. Many places to travel to and visit. One place to call home. Many friends and relatives. One person to share a lifetime with (his dear Marie). Many colors in the rainbow. One favorite … candy apple red. Many plans, dreams, and ideas implemented in a lifetime. One over-arching goal … to spend eternity in heaven with the Lord. 
 
Dad helping me in the yard on a visit last fall.
Thank you, Lord, that of all the “manys” in his life, Dad knew and lived the important “ones.”  
  

P – PEACE. Having a Dad who was a peace with the world, himself, his family, and his God when he died is a true gift. Many people talk about peace. Everyone longs for it, even if that longing isn’t realized in an articulate way. I don’t remember Dad using the word “peace” much, if at all. But his life exemplified what the apostle Paul wrote in his letter to the Philippians:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
My parent’s home was a haven and place of peace. We all liked to gather there, be there. Filling the walls of a home with peaceful hours, gentle laughter, quiet being, takes a lifetime of good choices. Choices to concentrate on what Paul lists in the verse following those above:

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)
I watched my Dad accept with calm and a peaceful heart God’s plan for him in his last few weeks of life. No murmuring or complaining. Rather, peace that his heavenly Father had prepared a place in heaven for him, and that He would lead the way through that final valley of death.

Thank you, Lord, that Dad’s peace was deep, true, and anchored in Your word and promises.



MUSIC LINKS


Two pieces that remind me of the peaceful life Dad lived:



It Is Well 

Continue reading this series of essays here.

No comments:

Post a Comment