Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Life Well-Lived, Part H, I & J



Continuing today with reflections through the alphabet in memory of my Dad. What a joy it is to remember him and share a little about him in these posts! [You can follow the entire series beginning here.]


H – Husband. Of all the things that my Dad was--truck driver, farmer, deacon, Sunday School teacher, informal cookie baker--he loved and took most seriously his role as a husband and father. My parents were married almost 60 years when Mom died. Loving marriages that last this long are a beacon to the rest of the world. They shine out the truth that it is not good for man to be alone, and that the institution of marriage is a not only a treasure, but a good and foundational part of God’s order for the world.


During Mom’s final years, with declining health, my Dad’s love for her shone in new ways, like a rare full super-moon. He never complained about helping her with household chores, cooking, taking her to Dr. appointments, managing her medications and oxygen, and more. He was on top of all her medical needs, the unwieldy mass of insurance and Medicare paperwork, and all the events in their children’s and grandchildren’s lives. As he told me a year before she died, “I just want to keep her comfortable and happy.” And he did that so very well! 

Thank you, Lord, that Dad loved being a husband and loved Mom with a sincere, faithful love all the days of their married life.

 
My Parents on their Wedding Day

I – Interesting. A man can be a good father, worker, citizen, and still be somewhat dull to be around. Not our Dad. He always had interesting stories to tell, thoughtful observations about the world, and wise responses to earnest conversation and questions. As an adult-child, times spent visiting with Dad and Mom was eagerly anticipated, full of liveliness, and occurred often. The hand-written letters from him were somewhat rare, but always interesting treats. 


Before I left town after Dad died, I got up early one morning and went to McDonald’s there in his hometown where he liked to have morning coffee with a gaggle of friends. I spotted a number of tables scooted together with about a dozen seniors chatting and breakfasting. Sidling up near an empty chair, they all stopped mid-sentence and looked up at me. “Excuse me, but might you be the group of friends that my Dad enjoyed for coffee and breakfast many mornings?” 

These friends were delighted that I introduced myself. They pointed to Dad’s empty chair, where I sat down and heard some of the stories about their conversations with my Dad. His friends were interesting too! 

Thank you, Lord, that Dad was such an interesting person; interested in the world around him, the people in it, and a wide range of ideas.



J – Jesus. When Pastor Henry visited my Dad at home during his last week, Dad called out as the Pastor was coming into the room, “Good afternoon Pastor! I told Jesus I’m ready to come home, and I just don’t know why He’s taking so long-I’m still here!” It was an incredible comfort to hear my Dad say that. He repeated the sentiment numerous times in those last days. But that was only because Jesus had been a welcomed Friend, Savior, and Lord all of Dad’s life. As the children’s song says, he knew Jesus loved him because the Bible told him so 

Thank you, Lord, that “Jesus” was not just one of the final words on Dad’s lips, but Jesus was a life-long presence and legacy in his life. 
 



MUSIC LINKS



I Will Be Here – Steven Curtis Chapman 


What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong


Jesus Loves Me – arr. John Ferguson  

You can hear the next entry in this on-going essay here.

No comments:

Post a Comment