Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Word is Worth a 1,000 Pictures

While searching for a special birthday card yesterday I stumbled into the scrapbook and craft section of a local retailer. A quote on one of the items for sale caught my eye:

If you're feeling blue,
paint yourself a different color. 
                               Hannah Cheatem, age 8

I liked that and looked around for several other quotes on my way out. I liked this one too. It reminded me of my mother, myself, and my daughter:

Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water (BHAG)

Me and my
BIG
ideas

As one who has a little of that Lucy-spirit (as in the main character on "I Love Lucy"), that one resonates with me in ways that make me both laugh and sigh.  

In a seminar the church staff attended one year while I was at Resurrection Lutheran in Cary, I walked away with:

BHAG
big hairy audacious goals

Pastor Paul reminded the staff of that one for months and encouraged us to pursue such goals with all the Spirit-fueled vigor we could muster.  

Collecting quotes has been a small hobby of mine over the years. Carrying a quote in your heart from someone you love, or perhaps someone who you never met and who may even have lived a long time ago is such an invigorating, enlarging thing. These small strings of words have the power to shape hours, days, seasons, and lifetimes. Like the quote that is my blog title from the psalmist, "Make God's Praise Glorious!" Those four words have given me a task to last a lifetime. Several years ago I came across this one from St. Catherine of Siena (1340-1387) which has fueled my spirit many times:

Be who God meant you to be
and you will set the world on fire.

As I think about such things, I'm listening to a recording of a piano prelude I played for a service a number of years ago; a soothing, easy background for times of reflection:  For a Saturday Afternoon Listening


Annie & Oskar, characters in a children's book I'm working on (BHAG)
 
I'd love to collect a quote or two from you if you have one or two to share, either in the comments below, or send to me in an email at gerstnancy@yahoo.com 


And lastly, a special shout-out 
to my grandson ADRIAN ELIJAH 
who turns 5 today. 
Happy Birthday to a 
very special young man!

GRANDSON
1,000 images to treasure in my heart!




No comments:

Post a Comment