Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

The Cure for Doubt

This week I had the honor of writing a short piece for the cover of the church newsletter. Here's an excerpt:

REMBRANDT - Head of Christ
Have you ever experienced it? Just a smidgen of doubt that maybe, after all, it’s not really true? Or not all of it is true? Or it doesn’t matter whether it’s true or not? Or it’s just for weak-kneed sissies, the unlearned, and children? Can we trust the Gospel story?

Perhaps you feel like many did about watching Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ. Sitting in a dark theater, barely able to look at the screen, you avert your eyes at the horror of it. We felt profound relief when it was finished.

It was finished. There’s the doubt-busting word we need to hear afresh from Christ, “It is finished!”
What was finished? Food for thought isn't it?
    
This morning children's choirs, liturgical dancers, and the Chancel Choir stood in joyful line-up outside the church, in colorful robes, with palm branches waiting for the processional. As I stood to the side surveying the scene I thought of how many Palm Sundays have crossed my path as a church musician. I hope I have been faithful to help worshipers answer that question, "What was finished?" 

Also in worship, Dr. Sally Thomas sang John Carter's gripping setting of "Ride On King Jesus" (which I had the honor of accompanying). Carter captures the looming events as Jesus rode into Jerusalem, and his purposeful stride amidst the chaos so well. The work is often done in concert settings, but in the context of worship, especially on Palm Sunday it's true place of honor resides. Randye Jones, soprano sings it convincingly and powerfully here, along with "Let Us Break Bread Together."

It is finished . . . what do you have to finish today, tomorrow, this week? Perhaps you and I need to lay aside fresh doubts about Jesus Christ. A long, deep look at him during Holy Week is a wonderful opportunity to do that.  As we think about that until the glorious celebration of Easter next Sunday, here's a Prelude by J.S. Bach, to accompany your reflection, from a recital I recently gave:

Prelude No. 8 in D Minor BWV 853

By the way, I have no doubt in my mind at all that Jesus was anything other than who he said he was and that the biblical record (which is also a historical record) is correct, as is summarized in the Creed: 
He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again.
That's what Jesus Christ finished. I can hardly wait to shout "Alleluia!" on Easter Sunday, but first I want to walk the journey and grow deeper in faith. I might need that doubt-busting look to help me down the road with the things I have to do while here on God's good earth.
Helpful links:


Wiki's Entry on the Apostle's Creed

The Creed and Gnosticism

No comments:

Post a Comment