Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

I'm Traveling Around the Globe

Traveling these days without a suitcase, passport, or visa . . .

I'm somewhat of a statistics nut, even though math and statistics weren't my areas of in-depth study in high school or college. I did take a statistics/research course in grad school as a prerequisite for writing a thesis . The prof told me I was the first student in all her years teaching to score 100% in that class. I guess that makes me a music statistics nerd. My friends and family all know that already.

So it was with delight that I discovered after setting up my YouTube channel, that they have some pretty cool analytics. Don't panic if you've listened to one of my videos 25 times. The stats aren't that specific. They report things like "retention" stats, i.e. the averaged percentage of the video that was viewed (100% of it or only part of it, or even re-runs in one sitting?), and the "relative retention" (i.e. compared to all YouTube videos for that length).
One of the most fascinating reports to me are the demographics statistics. They show the gender, age range, and location of viewers (how do they know that?).  The location statistics are ones I feel are pretty accurate and are intriguing to me.

As of today people from 23 countries have listened to all or part of one of my music videos. I was astounded to read that report, very humbled, and appreciative of the opportunity to travel around the globe with my music.

Here are the places where someone has stumbled upon one or more of my videos and watched part or all of it. The list is from most views to least views:

United States
Australia
United Kingdom
Romania
Ukraine
Unknown region
Germany
Canada
Japan
Malaysia
Singapore
France
New Zealand
United Arab Emirates
Hungary
Pakistan
Spain
South Korea
Argentina
Turkey
Mexico
Netherlands
Italy

Of course, none of my videos have gone viral, and I'll be surprised if any of them reach views in the hundreds. But blessing just a few people in a few places "beyond the borders of my tent" is a good enough reason for me to continue to "Make God's Praise Glorious!" over the world wide web. Somehow these stats add a quiet joy and bit of loveliness to my little world and life. I hope those people from far away, who I don't know, have felt a touch of the grace of God through our encounter.

As tiny Tim said, "God bless us, everyone!" Amen to that.

postscript on January 10, 2013:  people in 92 countries and all 50 states have now viewed these YouTube posts. Thank you Lord for the opportunity to serve so many people around the world in this small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment