Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Gift at Four A.M.

What is that song that's going through my head? I lay awake hearing the voices of the congregation singing it so eagerly and with great joy. . .
Glory to God in the highest and peace to God's people on earth.
For you alone are the Holy One, you alone are the Lord
You alone are the Most High, Jesus Christ,
With the Holy Spirit, in the glory of God the Father.
Amen. Amen. Amen.
Glory to God . . .
Ah, yes. The Hymn of Praise, the Gloria sung at the beginning of worship, right after the Kyrie.

The month of July I've been serving as guest organist at St. Philip Lutheran Church on the north side of town. This is a congregation that loves to sing! Their song has blessed me in the middle of the night with a message of hope. In one's sleepy head, things get jumbled and I keep hearing the phrase, "and peace to God's  people on earth."

Is that why I was fidgeting, awake when I should be resting? Too much non-peace in the world, in circles far removed from me, and those closer to my home and heart. So in the night the Spirit of God brings the song. And then I hear another voice, one so clear, pure, sweet. . .
Do not be afraid, I am with you.
I have called you each by name.
Come and follow me, I will bring you home,
I love you and you are mine.
In the dark room, it sounds like the voice of an angel ministering to me. Music Director, Stephanie Rodelander, recently sang this refrain several times a capella, as cadences to the sermon. At the time, it struck me so profoundly, the juxtaposition of such powerful words and such a simple, beautiful presentation. The congregation followed suit at the sermon's conclusion and sang the entire hymn, You Are Mine. 

What a lovely thing to hear voices like these in the middle of the night! Thank you Lord! 

A former pastor and colleague, Pastor Joe Vought, often commented during our worship planning meetings, that this or that particular song would be good to incorporate into worship because it was a "walking along song, one the people can carry in their pockets throughout the week." Indeed. That is part of the beauty of the sung liturgy, repeated for numerous weeks, and memorized without even realizing it. It becomes something one can pull out of the pocket of their heart, consciously or unconsciously, and hear again and again as a blessing and sustenance for the spirit. Something like the fairy bread that Frodo and Sam shared on their arduous journey up the mountain.

What songs do you have rewinding, replaying in your heart in the middle of the night? May they be ones that bring you peace.

I'm heading back to bed now for a little more sleep . . .  blessings to all!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MUSIC

You Are Mine (Do Not Be Afraid)

The opening stanzas say . . .

"I will come to you in the silence,
I will lift you from all your fear.
Your will hear my voice.
I claim you as my choice.
Be still and know I am here.

I am hope for all who are hopeless,
I am eyes for all who long to see,
In the shadows of the night,
I will be your light,
Come and rest in me."
He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart. Isaiah 40:11

Postscript . . . 
 
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. 
I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  

John 14:27




No comments:

Post a Comment