Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

I Love Broccoli

My granddaughter Daisy will be here for a couple days this week. I'm so excited to see her again I can hardly sleep! Besides the pure joy grandchildren bring to the whole extended family, just having a little one around makes everything seem so lively and hopeful.

This photo of my daughter Rachel and Daisy from a birthday lunch shows Daisy eating broccoli. She also sucked on a lemon slice at that same lunch and ate a plateful of spaghetti and most of the broccoli. My refrigerator and pantry are ready for her . . .  broccoli, cookies and more!

Children bring such a depth of love and vitality to life. When too many days go by without being around little ones, I try to get somewhere near their energy for at least a few moments, if its just the grocery store or the nearby park.

When we moved back to the Raleigh area last year, one thing that caught my attention right away was all the families on our block and all the kids. I love hearing their laughter through the open windows on a nice day, or seeing them learning to ride a tricycle or bicycle down the sidewalk with Mom or Dad close by. The boys across the street like to toss a football with their Dad before dinner. What a pleasure to enjoy their fun game from my front porch while our own dinner is in the oven.

Jesus loves the little children too. He made time for them and is our example of how to value their worth in little ways:
Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”  When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.
                                                              Matthew 19:13-15
I'm sure after several days with a three year old around, a quiet house will be okay with hubby and me. We are after all, grandparents and that means we've learned to enjoy a quiet evening! But for those few golden hours with our granddaughter, we will be on high alert as we watch her and enjoy her company. And we will be reminded again of how our Lord wants us to come to him:

Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.  
                                                           Matthew 18:3-5 


Hello Miss Daisy! Hello Jesus!

~ ~ ~ 

MUSIC LINKS

Children of the Heavenly Father - Concordia Choir, Paul Christiansen directing

For children who are living in volatile situations around the world this day:

Prayer of the Children - by Kurt Bestor, Baylor Men's Choir

No comments:

Post a Comment