Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

One Pass, But Many Chances

Remember seeing this little nugget?

I expect to pass through 
    this world but once. 
Any good, therefore, 
    that I can do or any kindness 
I can show to any fellow creature, 
   let me do it now. 
Let me not defer or neglect it for 
I shall not pass this way again.
                                                                 (author here)  

Hubby Always Makes My Birthday Special
                            

On my birthday, that poem came back to me for a visit like an old friend. Good stuff to mull over for the coming year. We only pass through life one time, but oh the opportunities we have to choose goodness and life! 

As I write this blogpost, the sun has almost set and the woods outside my window is a montage of black silhouettes against a blue/grey/lightly golden sky. A hawk flies in and lands on an upper branch, watching me through the window watching him. He flies off then to his evening duties and I return to mine.

Pumpkin Cheesecake on the Red Plate for My Birthday
I wonder how many people have crossed my path this past year like that hawk? Have I noted their presence, validated their worth before our ways parted? I saw the new "Lincoln" movie over the weekend and that was a striking feature in the film...how LIncoln's eyes and expression gave such care and inclusion to the people he was with. 

That's something I want to give more care to in the coming year, to ponder the word "any" in that little poem and not miss the small opportunities. Lord show me the way!



*In our home, the red plate is saved for special occasions or "red plate days." This was the first cheesecake I've ever baked "from scratch." It was delicious with a gingersnap crust. An old dog can learn new tricks!
~~~~~

MUSIC LINKS 

We May Never Pass This Way Again - Seals and Croft

    "Peace like the silent dove should be flyin'
      when it's only just begun."


From "Sunrise Mass"  by Ola Gjeilo

      Pleni sunt caeli et terra gloria tua 

          "The heavens and earth are full of your glory."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment