Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

I Don't Want Nails in My Hands


The light of the nightstand lamp bathed her little face in a golden, day’s end glow. She had picked out a library book and brought it to bed with her, asking that I read the page with a picture of Jesus on the cross. 

Before I even looked at the text to see how appropriate it was for a five year old, she looked at me with big eyes, waving her little hand close to my face and pleaded, “Grandma, I don’t want nails in my hands!”


Christ on the Cross - Rembrandt
On this Thursday before Easter Sunday, Maundy Thursday, the day we remember Jesus’ last supper with his disciples, the praying in the garden, the arrest, the trial, beating, and on Friday morning, the via dolorosa . . . isn’t that exclamation from the sincere heart of my granddaughter what all of us want to speak in reverent tones? “Lord, I don’t want nails in my hands!”


He knows. He knew. In deepest love, he took the nails in our place.

For such love and so great a salvation, won’t you join me in saying, “Thanks be to God!”

Head of Christ - Rembrandt

Postscript:  A simple explanation and assurance of how much God and Jesus love her, (along with a follow-up reading of another favorite story) sent my little princess to sleep in confident peace. If you too have piercing questions about the historical events of Holy Week, you may want to read the account from an eyewitness here

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
MUSIC LINKS


Selections below sung by the choir at Resurrection Lutheran Church, Cary, NC


God So Loved the World – by John Stainer


Agnus Dei – Hans Leo Hassler  

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi,
    Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world,
Miserere nobis. Have mercy on us.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi,
   Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world,
Dona nobis pacem. Grant us peace.

Lamb of God Most Holy - Melius Christiansen
Lamb of God most holy!
Who on the cross didst suffer;
Patient still and lowly,
Thyself to scorn didst offer;
Our sins by Thee were taken,
Or Hope had us forsaken:
Have mercy on us, Jesus!
       Text:  Nicolaus Decius, 1485-1546
 



No comments:

Post a Comment