Pages

Friday, March 10, 2017

Night Light

A commentary series on Psalm 139 in haiku poetic form.


If I say, “Surely the darkness
     will hide me
  and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
  the night will shine like the day,
  for darkness is as light to you.
Psalm 139:11, 12                              

Where did I go Lord?
It’s no secret from your eyes
Never out of sight.

Always there is light
So bright I cannot see it,
Darkness brings no fear.
Rest I must at night
Under the mantle of God—  
Night light for my soul.


Quote to Ponder . . .
My God, how I burned, how I burned with longing to leave earthly and fly back to you.
― Augustine of Hippo
The Confessions of St. Augustine

MUSIC LINKS

Stars - by Eriks Ešenvalds, sung by Voces8
Stars
Sara Teasdale, 1920

Alone in the night
On a dark hill
With pines around me
Spicy and still,

And a heaven full of stars
Over my head,
White and topaz
And misty red;

Myriads with beating
Hearts of fire
That aeons
Cannot vex or tire;

Up the dome of heaven
Like a great hill,
I watch them marching
Stately and still,

And I know that I
Am honored to be
Witness
Of so much majesty.

Darkness into Light - by John Tavener, sung by Anonymous 4

Artwork:  Photograph of North Carolina coastline by Katharine Micks. Used by permission. 

Link to next in series
Link to beginning of series. 
Link to previous post.  


No comments:

Post a Comment